What is Joomla ?
Joomla is a free and open source content management system (CMS) to build websites and powerful online applications. With powerful core features, ease of use and extensibility, Joomla has become one of the most popular web site software.
CMS stands for content management system, the software keeps trach of every piece of content on your web site. Content can be simple text, photos, music, video ... It is easy to you that does not require any technical skill or knowledge.
Joomla extensions extend the functionality of Joomla websites. There are 5 types of extensions: components, modules, plugins, templates, and languages. Each of these extensions handles a specific function.
- Templates - Templates determine the layout, style or look and feel and layout of a site.
- Components - the largest and most complex extensions. Most components have two parts: a site part and an administrator part. Every time a Joomla page loads, one component is called to render the main page body.
- Plugins - are advanced extensions to be registered to handle that event execute. For example, a plugin could be used to block user-submitted articles and filter text.
- Modules - render pages in Joomla. They are linked to Joomla components to display new content. Joomla modules look like boxes, such as the search or login module.
- Languages - are very simple extensions that can either be used as a core part or as an extension.
Joomla templates & Extensions
Joomla detailed documentation